Pies!
I made two pies for dad’s birthday. One cherry, one apple, both from scratch. I got both recipes from cooksillustrated.com. The crust recipe used mostly butter, with some shortening which I was hesitant to use since I diligently avoid trans fats. The cherry pie crust ended up a bit undercooked. The filling was also a bit weird, maybe because I used almond extract? The apple pie ended up okay since it was in the back of the oven. And the filling was good too, a little tart from the lemon juice. I brushed the tops of both pies with an egg wash and sprinkled some Turbinado sugar on top which resulted in gorgeous sparkley crusts.
These pies were acceptable but I think I'm giving up on crust recipes. It seems like when I eyeball it my crusts turn out waaayyy better. Especially when I use LARD.
I also tried to make vanilla ice cream but the barrel of my ice cream maker wasn’t cold enough for the ice cream to freeze. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how that turned out.
These pies were acceptable but I think I'm giving up on crust recipes. It seems like when I eyeball it my crusts turn out waaayyy better. Especially when I use LARD.
I also tried to make vanilla ice cream but the barrel of my ice cream maker wasn’t cold enough for the ice cream to freeze. I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how that turned out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home