Thursday, August 18, 2005

Mangos and the Urine of Pigs

When Sarah first arrived in China on a month-long study abroad trip she found fresh mangos in abundance in the market place. She ate the tropical fruit daily, using them to replace the unidentifiable fried and/or steamed food items traditional of Chinese cuisine. Soon I began receiving emails from Sarah explaining that her trip was going well but that she had developed an itchy and unsightly rash all around her mouth and chin. One of her advisors took her to a Chinese physician who decided that Sarah was reacting to the juice of the mangos. The remedy-- twenty brown pellets to be consumed daily. Through a rough translation, Sarah determined that the pellets were made of pigs urine. They worked, nonetheless.

Last night when Mark, Sarah and I sampled the mango sorbet our lips tingled and swelled.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived in Australia, I had a mango tree in my back yard. I would pick the mangos and give them away to the neighbors. Why? Because my lips swelled up and tingled. :) Well back to watching the hords of yardsalers descend on my across the street neighbors.
-Jesyka

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get the Mango sorbet at Persimmon? My favorite! For a cheaper version yo ucan keep in your fridge you should try Haagen Dazs fatfree mango sorbet - it's almost identical and $3.50 for a pint.
Jessica Paris

9:27 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Nope, I made it. Even cheaper!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home