Friday, August 19, 2005

A little spicy...

So today my order from Penzeys Spices arrived. Its amazing how aromatic freshly ground spices are compared to what you get at the supermarket. The smell and taste of the cumin I ordered from Penzeys were so pungent. The Red Monkey Organic Cumin I had sitting around hardly had a scent at all. No wonder I have to use so much of it! I also ordered whole nutmeg, which I know is worthless when preground.

According to Alaska Spice Co., ground spices are good for one year if kept away from heat, light, and humidity. Extra amounts will stay fresher longer in the freezer or refrigerator. The US government claims that ground spices are fresh for up to four years. That just goes to show how much they care about the quality of what we eat. Ha!

I also ordered finely ground French Grey Sea Salt. I expected it to be very, well, salty, but it isn't so much. It doesn't have that aftertaste that stings the tongue like kosher or table salt. It was light and the flavor faded quickly. It will be a good seasoning salt at the table, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home