Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Casseroles.

When I was little my mother would ask my sister and I, "What would you like for dinner?"

My sister, inspired by wholesome portraits of the American Family in her children's books, would answer, "Casserole."

My family was not a Casserole family. In fact, when my sister made her requests my mother would say, "What do you mean casserole? I don't know what that is. Can you describe it? Do you mean a Tuna Casserole?" My mother despises tuna. By no surprise, I have not inherited a love of casseroles. Though they are a type of cuisine--a down home style of food--that intrigues me.

I came across a recipe for a casserole called Tammy's Corned Beef Cabbage Casserole on the Family Fun website. I'll admit, it sounds a little gross. But the fact that Tammy attached her name to this recipe is an indication that it's a winner. I felt challenged by the shoddily composed instructions. And, besides, I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the next holiday, St. Pat's Day.

Tammy's Corned Beef Cabbage Casserole
1 half of a small cabbage

6 large potatoes
1 lb. carrots
1 can corned beef

1 large onion

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 8 oz. package of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1. Skin potatoes and cut into chunks. Place in bottom of casserole dish. I used a giant Corningware dish.

2. Clean and skin carrots. Cut them into chunks. Add to potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish.

3. Cut onion into slices. Place half the onion in with potatoes and carrots. Save remaining onion.

4. Shred the cabbage and place on top of ingredients in casserole dish. Set corned beef on top of cabbage making sure to cover entire cabbage. Spoon the cream of mushroom soup (not mixed) over corned beef top. Top with remaining onion. Canned corned beef requires thin slicing in this recipe. It comes out of the can in a SPAM-like formation.

5. Cover dish. Place in preheated 375 degree oven. Cook until potatoes, carrots and cabbage are tender, about 30 minutes (depending on how big you cut the potatoes and carrots).

6. Remove dish from oven, remove the cover and sprinkle cheese on top. Return the dish to the oven, uncovered, just until the cheese is browned.

OK, so, TCBCC is easy and cheap. The ingredients cost me about $4.00. I used the potatoes a had in my pantry, despite that fact they were growing roots, and a small, mushy-ish onion, whose germ had turned green. Whatever, it doesn't matter if your ingredients are slightly past expiration. I think that's what casseroles were created for.

I had never heard of canned corn beef. It does, in fact, exist. In order to open the can I had to use a little key and cut myself no fewer that three times in the process. To the Hormel Company: An updated can design would be nice.

This dish turned out rather delicious. I ended up baking it for an hour and a half, but by that time the veggies were soft and the flavors had blended nicely. Vegetal, creamy, hearty. Seasoned with a bit of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. We enjoyed it with a slice of marble rye, though hot biscuits and butter would probably be better. And a can of cold beer. Oh, and about ten friends. This recipe makes a lot.

All in all, I am inspired to try more casserole recipes. Maybe I'll add a few to my repertoire, just in case of any future requests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home